Just as things started to become more concrete on the bike trip round Europe, everything has come to a shuddering halt.
Over the past couple of weeks I have been looking into getting together a worst-case cost for the whole trip.
It looks like not only would it be an affordable holiday, but also I could afford to stay in an actual hotel once in a while, and even go shopping on the odd occasion.
I have managed to get hold of some hard panniers for my bike that are pretty sturdy and also don't feel as heavy as others I've seen. After a bit of bargaining, they turned out to be relatively cheap as well.
I've asked for various things for the trip for Christmas, and I have been faithfully promised by various family members and friends that I should find them under the tree come Christmas morning.
As part of my Broadcast Journalism course at university, I have to put together a documentary, either for radio or television.
I have been considering making the trip the focus of the documentary, as it would be a great way to record everything.
I am planning to take a module in Travel Journalism after the Christmas break, so hopefully this class will help turn it into a great project.
It also seems like a great way to combine the two interests into one: journalism and motorbiking, as well as travel!
Spanner in the Works
However, recently it has turned out that all my well laid plans may not be able to go ahead after all.
As part of the course, I also need to complete three weeks work experience at a radio station newsroom. This is due to take place in January.
I have been really looking forward to putting to use everything I have learnt, and getting to see how a real newsroom works.
Last night I had a phone call to let me know that I had been accepted onto a work experience placement - but it wouldn't be in January as expected. It is in April - the month that I have planned my trip for.
So now I'm thinking about how I can work around the setback. I still want to go, and I do have three weeks in January when I won't have anything to do.
I'm not sure how much I fancy the idea of riding around in the middle of winter however, so I not sure if that idea will last long!
I could reduce the trip drastically and try and do less in a shorter period of time. I still have a week in April that I might be able to fit something into.
For now the trip takes a backseat as I focus on getting ready for Christmas, then a media law exam in January. Hopefully I'll think of something and still be able to complete the trip!